Thursday, September 27, 2012

Aussie-isms

I'm either too used to them now or have recorded most of them already on the blog (search my Australianisms-tagged posts) but the latest ones on the list are:

"fussed" (worried)
"wee" (small)
"clean your teeth" (brush your teeth)
"fierce" (harsh)
"braces" (suspenders)
"lie-in" (sleep-in)
"busking" (playing an instrument on the street for $, what's our word?)
"bag it" (claim/call "I call that seat!")

and this funny one...

My kids were offered "chickenburger, hamburger or cheeseburger" on the latest Special Lunch at school (it's a fundraising thing each term) and of course they checked "cheeseburger." Poor darlings were sorely disappointed when all they got was cheese, lettuce and tomato!

2 comments:

  1. I'm not the type to link to a post to my own blog, but before Matt and I got married, we had a huge miscommunication issue (he's Aussie, remember). Your post reminded me of it:

    http://dayandngai.blogspot.co.uk/2008/08/its-all-oz-to-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that, Kate! Well put and agreed. :)

    ReplyDelete