I cry a lot these days. I was patting myself on the back
after the herculean effort of making it to my child’s school program with three
littles in tow. Apparently, I didn’t get the memo, but there were no other kids
there. I don’t know if they had nannies or preschool or no siblings or what,
but there I was, handing out cheese sticks and making paper air planes to keep
my three settled and quiet in the crowded classroom. We even left early, but Doggonit
I had gotten the four of us fed, dressed, parked and in there on time. I even
put lipstick on! So I was slightly stunned when I asked how the rest of it went
(left early before the kids could act up) and learned that apparently, I’m totally
embarrassing. Why? Because I look like a “couch potato slob who doesn’t wear
make-up, do her hair or try to look good by wearing clothes that match.” Oh,
and I’m “really big” as in “really fat.”
Okay…
That sorta stung. Usually I’m not bothered by this. (Being
embarrassed by your parents is a childhood rite of passage.) I know I’m not the
average SLC mom who has it all together with her hair and nails done in her LuluLemon
attire – I almost take pride in not being that norm. But I’ve always found solace
thinking I was attractive in a “natural beauty” sort of way and don’t
want to get bogged down by all that superficial stuff anyway. This time I guess
it felt different though because it came from my child who generally doesn’t
notice or care about such stuff. And it came at a time when I was already down
and out. Life has dealt me some lemons lately and I’m barely holding it
together. It felt bad to see my “victory” of the day seen as such a failure in
the eyes of the one I was sacrificing for. I said so. Gently, and calmly, then
cried my eyes out in silence as I sat down to nurse my newborn for the four hundredth
time today. Cracked nipple pain aside, I was sitting in the midst of overturned
boardgames, dying plants, piles of folded laundry toppling over at each jumping
antic of my 2 year old, and a disaster of a house, correcting my 8 year old’s
violin practice between my tears. I guess I could officially say I’m
overwhelmed. I thought it was the thrush – day after wicked day of
cheese-grater-on-the-nipples pain – but maybe it’s just the six kids. All the
backtalk, the tantrums, the nagging to stay on task, the attitude, the
relentless mess-making, the quarreling, the sheer volume of diapers! Maybe it’s
just that it really is too much for me. Me who always thinks I can do it all.
Well, that ain’t happening.
I’m tired. And spent. And discouraged. I keep reading “gentle
parenting” books but still I lash out in frustration. I resolve every morning
to remain loving and patient – and crawl in bed with guilt every night at my lack
of self-control. Will it ever feel doable again? Of course it will, right? This
is just a low point, right? When I get rid of this infection and don’t have all
these extra demands on my time/energy (nursing every 1.5 hrs, laundering everything in vinegar daily,
creams/ointments after every nursing, 25+ pills a day, crazy dietary
restrictions, etc.) I mean, really, my depressed state is probably in large
part to having to cut out every happy, convenient food I enjoy (dairy, carbs,
fruit, sugar.) Happiness is getting to eat a sandwich or cookie again, pouring
a bowl of cereal or *gasp* grabbing a piece of fruit on the go. For crying out
loud. No wonder I’m so miserable.
But thrush-issues aside, I have to remain hopeful. Not
knowing how or when it will all feel doable again is really crippling me. That
and being a sleep-deprived zombie. I’m sort of a wreck. So I must tell myself
this too shall pass. I remind myself that at least my babies are healthy. That
at least we can afford the medications and have enough food and shelter. That
my husband is supportive and our kids are thriving and safe. That their needing me so intensely is a very
good AND temporary thing. I say “yes” when someone offers a hand. And pray for
each person who saves me – whether it’s a meal, a playdate, a carpool run, a
green smoothie at my door, a shoulder to cry on, or just sweeping my nasty floor.
These people are like Saints to me. These people that don’t just say, but do
because they can see those tears welling up when they ask how I’m doing and
know I just need anything really. Because it makes me feel loved and cared for
and reminds me that I just might be able to actually do this new life we’ve
gotten ourselves into. Bless them forever.
My child was apologetic and understanding. I do realize I’m
not truly overweight and someday I might actually have a new outfit or
hairstyle and that it really means nothing in the long run. But I have to travel
those miles. I have to do the time and live the days and eventually get to that
place because no one is going to do it for me. And if I’m sloppy and grouchy
and frazzled at times to get there, so be it. But we will get there. And they
will survive. Perhaps even thrive. And someday I might come visit my own son or
daughter and help them through their sixth newborn phase. And I’ll say, “This
is only temporary – you’ll get it together, I promise.” Then I’ll go clean all
their bathrooms and do all their laundry and order some amazing take out for
them to eat for a month. (Sidenote: My sweet mom would help, but is battling her
own health issues so my wonderful mother in law came out for a week to help us
last month.) The point is, this life is messy and hard and sometimes you find
yourself all thrashed up and barely hanging on by your fingernails. And you
just cry. But it’s okay because that’s when you find your courage. And you lean
on the strength of others. That’s when you pray - and extend grace and
gentleness to yourself. You remember they really won’t die living on cereal, popsicles
and Netflix for a couple more months. That’s when you really find out what you’re
made of because eventually you all get through!
And I’m gonna get through.
POST-EDIT--------------------------------------------------------------------
What a beautiful outpouring of kindness we experienced after this post. Such love and support and encouragement and service was overwhelming and uplifting and healing to me and my family! From loving emails/messages to a church sign up for playdates to faraway friends recruiting locals to come clean the house - what a support system! We were so blessed by more than just shiny bathrooms and healthy groceries but the beautiful friendship and service that was extended blew me away. THANK YOU!!!
I am feeling enormously better. While it's not entirely gone, my crazy efforts/diet made the pain go away and I'm now cautiously introducing regular foods again. So far so good! Nursing is truly the best, and makes my heart melt in a mushy mess of love every time we sit down together. I'm so glad we don't have to give it up!
xoxo
POST-EDIT--------------------------------------------------------------------
What a beautiful outpouring of kindness we experienced after this post. Such love and support and encouragement and service was overwhelming and uplifting and healing to me and my family! From loving emails/messages to a church sign up for playdates to faraway friends recruiting locals to come clean the house - what a support system! We were so blessed by more than just shiny bathrooms and healthy groceries but the beautiful friendship and service that was extended blew me away. THANK YOU!!!
I am feeling enormously better. While it's not entirely gone, my crazy efforts/diet made the pain go away and I'm now cautiously introducing regular foods again. So far so good! Nursing is truly the best, and makes my heart melt in a mushy mess of love every time we sit down together. I'm so glad we don't have to give it up!
xoxo
My dear Ivey, I am going to write you an email later but just quickly wanted to say I love you so much and that I wish I was there to give you big hugs and a hand! I'm so sorry you're overwhelmed, struggling with you health (again) AND missing your mum! Also want you to know RIGHT NOW that you are INCREDIBLY naturally beautiful! Not being big on makeup is something I truly love about you, when I met you I was surprised that you're not the typical american cake face and I loved that you didn't hide yourself under a mask and weren't afraid to be real, and to DO things! I hope you never will be that fake kind of girl! Guess its hard not to feel pressured sometimes though with society the way it is, but you honestly don't need that. (Just come back to Oz ;) we love you just the way you are! You fit right in!) And you look totally AMAZING for having 6 kids!!!! WISH I looked so good after 3 LOL! Your body is beautiful and it deserves love and respect from the children it has created and nourished. The comment was WAY out of line!! You are an amazing and kind, talented, beautiful woman. And you're giving your best - as usual. I remember feeling overwhelmed when I had sebi so close to Samuel, I felt so out of control and impatient all the time so I kind of understand what you might feel (x10) but be gentle to yourself. Your best is all you can do and it is good enough because it's all you have. When you 'have' more you will be able to give more but now is not the time. Mel xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
ReplyDeleteOh, Ivey, my strong, wonderful, amazing friend! I could feel every word you wrote here as if you were sitting right beside me. And I cried as if I were crying right with you, with my arm around you, praying that you will receive all the strength, comfort, hope and HELP that you need right now. And I cried that I am not actually there, because I would get right to work! If it's at all possible, just push all that undone stuff into a side room somewhere and put up a sign that says "Sara will take care of this in 2 months." Then just keep adding to that room :) For the stuff that can't wait that long, I will pray that you get the help you need and that you will be able to be easy on yourself about it! You knew that getting to the school, with multiple littles in tow, was a victory - and it WAS! Celebrate them all. And if you find yourself in moments when you cannot see any victories to claim at all, when you feel discouraged and hopeless and need to cry, THAT's OKAY TOO. Cry. Cry to Heavenly Father. Cry to a friend. Scream into a pillow. You have so much to bear right now, you don't need guilt weighing down on top of that. I'm sending tons of love and hugs to you right now! And they travel fast, so they should get there any minute... Love you, girl.
ReplyDeleteIvey, you are so awesome! You WILL get through this and come out the other side stronger & more compassionate to others for it! Reading your first paragraph my heart sank for you. Sometimes our little people don't realize how much they can hurt our feelings when we try our best and literally bend over backwards for them constantly and would give them the moon if we thought it was in their best interest. But I honestly can't picture you as anything but gorgeous, a true natural beauty. Hang in there! And thank you for your brutal honesty in this post. Life's not always pretty and it's a brave woman to share with others a glimpse of their less-than-perfect self and just be real. If it makes you feel any better, I've been feeling like a pretty crappy Mom myself lately, thinking to myself each night "I'll be better tomorrow, we'll try again!" Only to have the exact same thought the next night. That's all we can do though is keep trying! (And I don't have little people, and only half the amount of kids as you...yet still not feeling the way I'd like to be about my mothering) It takes a village, I hope yours continues to reach out. And I'm glad you are wise enough to accept their help when they do! You are awesome, Ivey! If you weren't we wouldn't have named our daughter after you :) I admire so many things about you!
ReplyDeleteoh, how i think we can all relate! i feel your frump, girl! oh, what a day...and big kudos to you for 'getting' it done'! i will say that i'm not the 'typical utah mom' either, but some days are more together than others. thanks for keepin' it real and talking your way through it...because sometimes you just gotta. love and hugs to you sweet, amazing, and strong Ivey.
ReplyDeleteIt's not so long that I was a kid so I know how awfully selfish we can be and how we can kind of resent when our mums are not on top of their game because we are the lucky ones who got a mum who is 99.9% of the time on top of her game, that 0.1% when she isn't shocks us when it happens and we can get real nasty about it in retaliation to that shock. Get those kids to work. Draw them up a rota and let them step into line and help out. I remember when mum was sick she sat us down and cried (nothing has a greater impact than 99.9% perfect mum crying) and told us she needed our help just for now and we became super domesticated little creatures, far more capable having learned from her example than she or we even realised. We loved being given the chance to pick up the 0.1% and give her something back. I remember mum saying when you were having it tough with feeding before that the urge for her to just get on a plane and travel around the world to help was overwhelming, totally impractical but overwhelming and I feel that now. I'm ready to offer myself up for adoption so I can come and stand in as surrogate big sister and take command of the littlies while you do nothing but cope with that pain of feeding and know that we've got this all under control. I'm praying that someone comes along and takes my place because I'm feeling useless that I can't do it now.
ReplyDeleteMum always says that admitting you feel like you're not holding it together shows that you really are, you've not lost your grip on reality and reality right now is pretty dire and if you can see that it's pretty dire you're not away with the fairies and hope is still around in bucket loads. Where there is hope there is light.
You are so beautiful, those girls need to remind themselves where they get that naturalness from and start being grateful that they never have to worry about days when they can't be bothered to paint their face on in the future because their momma blessed them with such beauty that they will never have to worry. One day they will see that you showing up was what showed how beautiful you are, not what you showed up in.
I have no idea how you feel as where you are is somewhere I've yet to go and I just want to thank you for being my pioneer and showing me that when I get there it won't all be easy, your struggles will help me to make it through mine, that's what we're here for to lead the way and to follow and take our turn to lead the way for others to follow and I'm sure and certain that you are leading the way somewhere I need to go and I thank you for that and for being so beautifully honest about life, in all of this you are still giving gifts, did you realise that?
When I do finally get time to make it over for a visit you guys are going to take off for a weekend of fun and let me get to know those cute kids of yours Sound of Music style. I pray that day comes soon. Stay strong, you can do this. Nnenna xx
I'm not sure my comment here will make it to any of you so I'll email/FB my responses privately, but man oh man, I love you women. Thank you for being so incredibly kind and loving. You've buoyed my spirits immensely!
ReplyDeleteI feel like I'm reading my own biography! Except the thrush that sounds like it hurts like no other. I'm so sorry you're dealing with it!
ReplyDeleteBut let me tell you something. When I was in Australia, I spent most of my time bawling. I missed my home, I missed my family, everything kept going wrong, and I was TIRED.
But you were there. You and Sara helped me more than you will ever know. Having you sit next to me that first Sunday and having us over for dinner and help us find a place to live and everything else helped me survive. It also taught me the true meaning of service.
Thank you. My youngest is now 5 and I can finally breathe. So please, Let me help!! In whatever way you need me, let me help.
If I weren't coming out of the exact same stage, I would come straight down to SLC and do all of your laundry for you, every day, forever. You are an amazing momma, doing exactly what the Lord wants you to be doing, which is a good place to be. Sending lots of love from the Great White North!!!
ReplyDeleteWishing I could drive across the country to help. And totally unable to imagine you as looking anything but gorgeous. Your kiddos are so very blessed to have you. Sending virtual hugs, sweet friend.
ReplyDelete