Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Alternative

Liquid chlorophyll. Have you tried it? I've been drinking it for a week now and man, it took me by surprise. By day 3 I was spraying Des in the face every time he unlatched because apparently it boosts milk supply too. Awesome. There are a whole list of benefits but basically it does for us what it does for plants: creates energy, makes things function better, detoxes, and alkalizes. I've never paid attention to the pH balance of my blood but apparently most of us are out of balance. In an effort to neutralize all the acids we take into our bodies we need to eat more alkaline through leafy greens and such (or a nice shot of chlorophyll every day if you find it hard to eat enough of the right foods.) Otherwise the body is out of whack and stores up the wrong stuff in your fat creating cellulite. I'm doing a pathetic job of explaining why it's worth taking and there are many more reasons - just Google it or here's a nice article.

So now I drink this each morning before breakfast and another throughout the day. It's spearmint flavored and pretty palatable. Even the kids will drink it. Between that and the On Guard oils I had her take, Kenna's wicked sore throat lasted less than 24 hours. Pretty awesome. And I've found it really cuts down on my sugar cravings. I stopped eating late at night for Lent (my kids go to Catholic school) so that help has been priceless lately.

Is liquid chlorophyll in the same vein as aloe vera supplements and coconut water? I don't know, haven't gone there yet. I was introduced recently to spirulina too, looking forward to incorporating that, especially with the kids when they fight their veggies. It's basically seaweed that's considered a complete food source (used by NASA in space, and certain Japanese seniors have lived off only spirulina and water for 20 years.) It's a great way to boost nutritional intake especially for growing teens, little kids, athletes, elderly, pregnant women, etc.

Oh, and here's another one: Oil-pulling. Who's done it? Fascinating stuff to me. It took me a few days to get over the disgusting sensation of a mouthful of oil, but my teeth are whiter and cleaner than they've ever been. And of course there's a whole list of other benefits: detox, better sleep, curing various illnesses, oral health (as in healing your own cavities), etc.

I've always been a fan of coconut oil as you may remember from my previous post. I use it daily as a natural deodorant and moisturizer and have recently mixed up my own toothpaste, but that needs to be tweaked a bit before I replace my Colgate. It's just a mixture of coconut oil, peppermint essential oil, baking soda, dash of salt (I think I went too heavy on the salt.) Anyway, it continues to impress.

We've also been pleasantly surprised with GOOT - a concoction of fresh pressed garlic, olive oil, and coconut oil that a couple friends swear by. A nasty cold has been spreading through the fam, so each night I rub this concoction on everyone's feet (except Darren's because he doesn't want to "smell like Papa John's.") I especially love it on Des as it turns him into a little garlic baby that I just want to bite into. Here's a link to a similar garlic ear oil remedy that does wonders for ear infections, too.

My favorite part about all this stuff? Brilliant to have in your food storage! Cleaner, healthier, lasts longer and packs a punch in the nutrient department, which is pretty vital if you think about food/supplies becoming harder to get someday. Whether it's the end of the world or the end of your income, good to have some stuff on hand, right?

1 comment: