Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Call of the Beast

A couple months ago I participated in my first "mud run" with a few friends. It's something I've wanted to do for ages and when the National Obstacle Course Racing Championship was held in Canberra it was an easy sell! Loud music, dirty, family-friendly, hot and sweaty. Much money was raised for the Soldier On charity. There were individual winners and group winners and then a kids run at the end. I did the medium 8K course with friends and then ran the 2K course with Will, Kenna and Annie.
Me vs. 8Ft Walls: Bruised & battered but conquered unaided (see that smile?)

I'll tell you what, my "training" on the neighborhood monkey bars was insufficient for the amount of walls we were require to scale not to mention the uphill runs... I was tire hopping, sandbag hoisting, balance beaming, cargo net crawling, mud pit slogging, rope climbing, boulder jumping, tire dragging and river running for about 4 hours (the kids kept repeating and repeating their course and my wobbly legs about gave out by the time we walked back to the car.)

 Poor Darren had retreated there quickly with the babies to escape the heat and flies so didn't witness much of our athletic prowess, but I got a couple pics of the kids. The wall climbs and net army crawls were the most challenging while the mud pits and balance feats were the most fun. And of course the giant slip & slide hose-down by the fire department at the end. The kids were real go-getters and it was a blast to do together.

 A few Before & Afters



showering off with some pumped-in river water
Glorious day out in the countryside with perfect weather for the run.



No comments:

Post a Comment