Friday, March 14, 2014

What In the World Is Kefir?

I thought the same thing when I first heard of it. Then I noticed some in the health section of the refrigerated products at the grocery store and figured it was legit. Basically it's a drinkable yogurt-type product that originated in some mountainous region of Europe centuries ago. It's like a carbonated milk and touts all kinds of benefits, but suffice it to say it's like yogurt on steroids. And it's pricey. 

What I didn't know was that you can make your own. For no more money than the price of milk. Now when I read up on it, I was impressed. And when a friend offered me some live culture (think of it like a sourdough "start" that can't just be manufactured,) I didn't hesitate. 

What I didn't realize was that it's not delicious (as Will's face attests to below) but when you consider all it can do for you... I think plugging your nose for a couple seconds a day is a small sacrifice. :) It does taste heaps better store-bought /flavored, but I'm told they don't used the traditional "grains" to produce it, so I'm not sure how beneficial that product actually is. Some people really enjoy it mixed with some honey or maple or agave or crushed fruit. To me it wasn't worth wasting the honey as it still made me gag, but to each his own. Basically, it's fermented milk so it tastes curdled/sour/bubbly (like "milk soda" some say) and if you leave it long enough you get the special bonus of feeling chunks slide down your throat. 

But please don't let this deter you! I only share this to juxtapose the fact that I still drink it every day. Weird? Yes. So why do I do it? Because it makes me feel amazing. It gives me a marked energy boost, drastically curbs my sugar cravings, and keeps everything functioning well. I honestly do notice the difference when I've forgot it for a few days. (And that can't be said for everything, namely my oil-pulling experiment - although I do think I might give that another shot someday, just to be fair.) I notice a serious drop in energy/productivity and am wasted by 10pm. I don't know how or why I experience such a boost but with more than three times the healthy bacteria found in yogurt, kefir maintains overall health by actually colonizing these probiotics into your gut. It is loaded with vitamins, minerals and easily digested protein. It can be made with any type of mammal milk (I use raw cow milk) or even almond/coconut/soy milk, and due to its breakdown of lactose, it's great for lactose-intolerant folks as well. 

Here's a POST with more details on making your own, but basically you just cover the cauliflower-like "grains" with milk in a small jar on your kitchen counter, swish it around occasionally and in 12-48 hours (depending on how you like it) you've got the finished product! Drink and refill. Or if you find it easier to consume mixed into your daily smoothie or pancakes, go right ahead. 

Kefir grains feed off of milk and therefore grow bigger each day. After exhausting all my interested local friends with my "extras" I now just break off and discard half of it as it gets too big to handle. I know there are people online that sell it and I think you can purchase either freeze-dried or powdered forms as well, but if a friend ever offers you this miracle food, give it a try! My sister even makes a water-based-kefir I'll be interested to try soon. Online testimonials are pretty convincing, especially from those who had found no respite from their illnesses in the medical community. Seriously, just Google it for some convincing success stories. It couldn't be easier to make, and may just be the health cure you've been searching for.



No comments:

Post a Comment