Lots of outdoor time. We especially enjoyed the live music at the National Botanical Gardens and our generous neighbors' pools. (Hot Aussie summers would've been a very different experience here without their kind, open invitations!)
I was very proud of these brave souls as they got out of their comfort zones to go busking a couple times. I keep telling them, do it while you're young because people appreciate it a lot more when kids get out there.
And I'm not gonna lie, they made bank.
(Sidenote: their motivation was mainly due to their mean parents who made them pay for a large chunk of the fun school camp on offer this year! Definitely fast cash.)
| splurging on some gelato afterwards |
A couple days I did tending trade offs of our two youngest so the big kids and I could bike ride or explore or geocache or whatever and MAN, was that fun! We kept yelling out to each other, "This is so cool - we can go so fast!" or being wowed whenever we loaded in and out of the car in under 10 seconds rather than 10 minutes. As much as we love those sweet, rowdy, little munchkins, it was a real treat to have active fun and mature conversation with these awesome kiddos of mine that are just growing up way. too. fast.
Cared for the school chooks over part of the summer holidays and I could hardly pull them out of the pen each time. Especially Des. While the other kids were diving and chasing to catch them up, he would just walk up to one, scoop it up in a hug, stand up and smile like it was no problem.
Of course, plenty of indoor fun to be had as well. This was the most laid back summer I think I've ever had in my life. I was a relaxed mum. We didn't have sports on or any real trips to speak of. We'd done all the local sights already so we just chilled out and enjoyed life. And while they didn't read as much or learn any new skills, I think the bonding that took place in our last semi-reclusive summer certainly made up for that.
| Granola became an almost weekly tradition this summer. |
| outdoor group Suzuki classes |
And lest these pics make it seem Dad wasn't ever around, Darren took these girls on a paddle boat ride without any prodding when they were out together one Saturday. That memory's gonna last a while. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment