Monday, February 24, 2014

Jackie Chan, Who Knew?

A while back I got to take the official Embassy Residence tour and see some of the upper rooms and living areas of our Ambassador(s) and their families. And where they host their distinguished guests. The main areas of the house are generally open for entertaining as they have holiday parties throughout the year for their Embassy community, but it was cool to see the kitchens and servants' back stairs and such. The lounge rooms and library/study areas were quite impressive too.

Then they showed us Jackie Chan's bedroom (and long-since dusty boxing bag in the accompanying attic.) What the what?! Well, I guess Jackie's dad used to be the cook at the residence and his mum was running the household staff or something. Awesome history.
 Funny side story: a Marine once wanted to show some bravado on a similar tour and gave the bag his best punch. And was rewarded with a broken hand. Apparently, sand turns to something like concrete when left undisturbed for years at a time!




 I just love the giant vases of fresh flowers everywhere giving every room a regal, posh feel. It's no Downton Abbey but is a fun glimpse into a more glamorous life, nonetheless.

--------------------------------------
Random POST-EDIT: I added a whole heap of pics to my previous "Vegetation" post recently. For anyone interested in a glimpse of the fantastic flora and fauna in this country, click the link. 

No comments:

Post a Comment