Wednesday, February 29, 2012

One Year Anniversary

Our one year Australian Anniversary lands right on Valentine's Day. That's the day we boarded the plane and technically we spent the 15th up in the air, landing in Oz Feb. 16, but we celebrated anyway with a fancy, candlelit dinner. The kids had been missing the whole school tradition of decorating big boxes and handing out cards (V-Day is another holiday Aussies don't celebrate, although one of their teachers did mention it.) And generally I'm not a big fan of the outrageously commercialized season, but I heart-attacked their bedrooms and laid out lots of treats anyway to cheer them up.







Darren and I had just been out to a concert the weekend before (Men At Work lead singer Colin Hay: I Come From a Land Down Under... honestly, the guy was such an entertainer, it was awesome) so the family dinner was just right.








And you know how kids love to bust out the china and bubbly. We had fun reminiscing about our arrival and things we've grown to love.

We really are so happy right here, right now and counted our many blessings. Life is good.
(Had to laugh at this awesomeness. Never mind that we have a real, wood burning stove downstairs, how could it beat this romantic evening snuggling up with our books in bed??  Ha. Technology is a riot.)

1 comment:

  1. Love the techno-fire, that is so funny! One year in Hawaii we actually took our family Christmas picture standing in front of our big screen television that we had set to "yule log", making it look like a cozy, big fire! As I remember, it was our first there and I wasn't yet used to the idea of a warm weathered holiday season.
    Happy 1-year anniversary, Mitchell family!!! So glad I got to be here to get to know you!

    ReplyDelete