Despite being one of our shortest summers yet, the kids were thrilled to be back in school (albeit appropriately jittery the first day.) Love their school, love their teachers, love their friends, and while I'm not sure how well they're keeping up with their U.S. counterparts with all these Australian history/geography/animal lessons, at least they're loving it.
| "it's so boring around here without all those big kids around..." |
| Park play in pjs after morning drop-off |
| total melt down when the parachute went bye-bye |
And literally as those photos were uploading, I turned around to a mysterious rustling sound to find this:
While I jest about keeping up with the kids, I don't miss the stress, strain and schedule of part/full time work. I do love staying home with them, but I recognize that it's not an opportunity that all women can afford or even desire. I respect those who so valiantly split their time, attention and energies between work/school/home. It's difficult it different ways. More scheduling, rushing, planning, and stress as opposed to so much picking up, calming down, tedium and insanity. Being a mom in both scenarios is difficult and crazy and should be respected and celebrated.
That being said, I'm definitely trying to soak in these last few months with our delightfully sweet Sum-Sums before baby bro enters the scene and shakes things up again. :)
What a sweet post. I love your perspective. I also think the picture is summer standing alone in the tub looks award winning! A beautiful, innocent capture.
ReplyDeleteMiss you xx H
Thanks, doll. Wasn't that morning light just perfect? I need to take pictures in their bathroom more often :)
DeleteIvey, I really enjoy your blog! I hope you don't mind me indulging in your lovely experiences over there in Aussie. I am thrilled to share your journey with you. You are an inspiration and I enjoy your perspective. You keep it real! While I silently stalk (hehe!) your blog I had to make a comment today. You mentioned about enjoying being a stay at home Mum but then also mentioned and paid homage to Mums who have to work too. I am one of these Mothers and it always cuts me deep when I read a blog where they rave about loving being a Stay at home Mum. I guess I just feel jealous that right now our family does not have the blessing of having me at home. I do all that I can so I'm not away from my kids too long (I start work at 6am and finish at 2) and also homeschool my daughter and pretty much have my kids connected to me until they got to bed. But because I don't have that title of "stay at home Mum" I always feel like it's not good enough. So, really, THANK YOU for taking the time out to mention that. It made me teary with gratitude for your thoughtfulness.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Katie
(Merrilee's mission buddy)
Sincere thanks for your comment, Katie. I've heard your sentiments more than enough times to think that if those of us fortunate enough to "stay at home" full time would just show a little more sensitivity to those who find themselves in situations like yours, there might be a whole lot less "pangs of envy/guilt" going around. Raising awareness and being respectful of each mother's unique circumstances is all it takes. Motherhood in all forms is an amazing feat (congratulations to all of us!), that doesn't need to be made more difficult/stressful by detrimental emotions. So great to hear from you - glad you're enjoying our experiences, of which you have some personal experience to compare! :)
DeleteMuch love,
Ivey