Monday, March 12, 2012

Addiction?

We all know and love the genius invention that is the internet. And we probably all appreciate by now the dangers lurking therein. With the good comes the bad, and while life today can be elevated to incredible heights through the convenient access to valuable information which recent technological advances have brought us, of course, there are the flip sides too.

One of which is a tendency toward addiction. dun, Dun, DUN...

I've successfully steered clear of any "addictions" so far (incessantly checking Facebook/Twitter/email/blogs/technology in general) but I'm afraid I'm coming dangerously close to one: Pinterest.
 


Yes, I heard it all before and delayed intentionally, but last week I finally took a peek and man, that is some good stuff! Favorite thing about it? The simplified process of browsing, searching and storing the information most valuable to you. For those of you still new to this particularly brilliant sensation - it's an online pinboard that virtually eliminates the need to catalogue your "favorites" in other ways. No more clipping magazine or newspaper articles and pictures! No more endless online bookmarks! Hey, no more labeled file folders for all your great "to do someday" ideas! Just pin anything you find online, whether it's from a website, blog, news article, or random image/video. Then it's all there safely stored and accessible whenever/wherever - a series of individualized "boards" filled with compact, tidy pictures, properly linked to the original source or website for whenever you get around to following up. Plus the capability of sharing all those brilliant ideas with the world by the click of a mouse. Browse your boards, those of similar-styled friends, or search by topic/keyword for new ideas others have pinned already. What's not to love? Sure scales down those massive Google searches. It's like reading your favorite magazine without any ads or lame articles- just flipping through page after page, wanting to dogear every last one. That buzz you get from pinning image after image of lovely/brilliant/timesaver/clever ideas for everything from parenting to date nights to decorating to deliciousness. My brain's simply bursting with all the new tips, tricks and inspiration to enrich, beautify and yes, even simplify my life. It's beautiful and fun and ADDICTING.

So, you've been warned. (But I still highly recommend it!) Now if you'll excuse me while I go "pin" some more St. Patrick's Day crafts or genius educational activities for the kids or my favorite: amazing food recipes. Click HERE for my boards as an example of how it works. (It's okay, I'm giving myself one more week before I clamp down with some concrete limits.) Happy Pinning!


2 comments:

  1. I agree! It is addictive but it really is a great tool though. We get food magazines at our house but I don't think I've made a single thing from any of them. But, I have made a few things from the pins I have though. I love it because quite frankly, it gives me confidence that I can "do" all these great things because they show you how to. But I agree, there has to be a balance.

    Here are my boards if you want a lookie:
    http://pinterest.com/kiwikatie/

    Have a fun week with unrestricted pinning! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I'm going to have to follow you on Pinterest. I finally gave in and joined a month or two ago and I am hooked as well! That must be where you got your St. Patrick's day rainbow idea from, we made a very similar one at our house :) That's where I get all my recipe ideas these days and the fun holiday ideas are awesome. Great way for super creative people to share their ideas with the rest of us :)

    ReplyDelete