Thursday, April 4, 2013

Australianisms 2013

Every once in a while I'll do a post about what I call "Australianisms" - little quirky cultural differences I keep track of, including words or phrases that are different here. The latest:

Knickers (underwear)
Clean teeth (brush teeth)
Nail varnish (nail polish)
Midday (noon)
"You look so swish!" (stylish?)
Nudie Rudie (naked baby running around)
Block your nose (plug your nose)
Tick (check)
Sledge (sled)
Cubby (playhouse)
Rug (blanket)
"We are moving house." (We are moving.)
Chippies (potato chips, since "chips" are french fries)
Give it a miss (don't go, miss out)
Master Desmond (baby prefix, opposite of Mister on official/medical forms)
"Leave it with me." (I'll take care of it)
"You've got sleep in your eyes." (those little eye boogers)
"I've got a blood nose." (bloody nose, possibly because that's a swear in England?)
"Can you sight my homework?" (check homework)

It's funny when I find myself starting to forget some of the old ways of saying things. By the time we move home I'm going to have to start up a list of "Americanisms" right?

No comments:

Post a Comment