Thursday, April 18, 2013

One of Those Days

It ain't pretty 'round here. To ensure you never think we're all rainbows and butterflies, making granola and having read-a-thons all day long, let me just record a run down of the last 24 hours or so:

carless (school break so Dad drives to work)
Mom & baby with thrush
pottytraining toddler with post flu-shot diarrhea (epic accidents)
washing/disinfecting/laundry galore
baking/cleaning/setting up for...
7 yr old birthday slumber party!!!
sick baby & night terror toddler up all night (party guests slept fine)
13 hours of child care (Dad had to work late)
school sores return on Will & Dad
administer lots of medicines
baby falls off bed and down some stairs
5 drop dead serious sibling fights
2 teary breakdowns for mom (overwhelmed/painful breastfeeding sores*)
heavy weeding for upcoming house inspection
baby enjoys lengthy nudie time after bath
then also deposits post flu-shot diarrhea everywhere
Mom enjoys 3 (short) baths for post flu-shot aches/chills
5 kids storm the bathroom to chat with mom during said baths
older kids help make dinner, babysit and concoct a comfy couch-bed for Mom
pillows/blankets/clothes are dragged into the under-stairs cubby for the kids
Mom is simultaneously overwhelmed and relieved to have 5 children
Dad forbids flu shots next year


Awesome, right? Honestly, though, I think it's times like this that I can't help but smile because man, I'm doing it you know?! This is the trenches! This is my life. And I love it. Probably because I'm a sucker for a challenge. The crazier each stage is, the more I know I'll look back on it fondly, proud to have pulled it off without too much collateral damage. It's brutal and self-inflicted, but it's pretty great too. The sweet hand on the cheek, the imaginative free play, the snuggling/giggling/tickling/wrestling, the unsolicited I Love Yous. They are so funny and cute and clever and endearing, albeit hard and irresponsible and exasperating and messy. Parenting a large family is not for the faint of heart! But people have been doing it for eons and pulling it off (while pulling their hair out) and it makes me feel part of the cycle of life. When I discover a particularly tender library book with Summer, where all the pictures show the fun, enthusiastic kids with their loving, harried mom keeping things up in the background. Or catch a beautiful moment in another mom's life, as she soothes a scraped knee at the park or expertly entertains her monkeys through the check out line or sheds a tear of pride at a recital. I get all teary and my heart swells for a bit in gratitude that I get to enjoy this job, every day, for at least a few years on this earth. And then we'll all move on - they'll be grown and life will change and evolve into other chapters that aren't quite so hands-on. But I know I'll miss their smothering love. Their desire to crawl right inside my skin as we read together. Or jump on my back like I'm a moving target every time I walk by the couch.

I read an inspiring post the other day from a sweet mom of six who notes that really it's only 10% of our lives, if that, that we spend right here doing this (baby care) day in day out. And it's priceless, it really is.



* If anyone knows of a fail-proof thrush remedy, do tell! If I have to nurse any longer with stabbing pain and open wounds I might just die. I discreetly got some sun on them in the backyard today at the doc's suggestion. Also been taking and/or applying: nystatin, coconut oil, yogurt, breastmilk, clove/tea tree oil/vinegar swabs, Lansinoh, vitamin C, echinacea, spirulina, chorophyll, placenta, fresh garlic, and On Guard. (Sidenote: it's awkward enough to go braless, let alone topless, when you're 10 year old son is home all day...) My defenses are down from 2 recent all-nighters and an 8 week chest cold, but I'm starting to lose hope in all my natural remedies! Or maybe I should wonder how much worse it might've been...? Help a sista out!!

3 comments:

  1. I agree with Darren about the flu shots. We stopped a few years back and wish we had much sooner. Jackie Fisher

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I could've just read one of Lillie's journal entries. We are with you in solidarity, sister! Seriously though, moms are my idols. I can't even believe what you do. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ivey,
    I love your blog. Sorry I never got around to calling you over the school holidays. It always goes by so fast. I hope your family is feeling better. See you at book club!
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete