Tuesday, June 7, 2011

More Discoveries

Now I'm compelled to bring home every interesting fruit I see...

Starfruit has been the overwhelming winner so far. I'd never heard of tamarillos and wasn't impressed; quite sour. The dragonfruit was gorgeously exotic with an awesome avocado-like texture. If only its tasted a bit less like shampoo...














And these little guys are my favorite new discovery. Chia seeds. You know it's gotta be good when ancient peoples considered it a "supernatural" food. Hosts an impressive list of healthy properties:

- a complete protein
- great source of soluble dietary fiber
- more antioxidants than blueberries
- 3x more iron than spinach
- 3x more omega-3s than salmon
- 6x more calcium than milk
- 15x more magnesium than broccoli
- promotes hydration, endurance & muscle growth
- contains a host of other vital minerals and can actually sustain you nutritionally on just 1-2 Tablespoons a day

Ancient Aztecs used to run for days from village to village eating only from a small pouch of chia seeds. Mix a spoonful into liquid and watch it absorb into a funky, tapioca-ish drink. I love it in the morning:

Use it sprinkled atop or swirled into virtually any other food. Soak in water for a thickener gel or use in place of egg or oil in baked goods. Tasteless, versatile and power-packed. Have yet to try sprouting, but it's right up there with flax and quinoa in my kitchen cupboards now. "Ch-ch-ch-CHIA"

 Another random try... any way I can get more beans, grains or legumes into the family diet, I'll check it out.

(Even if they roll their eyes at me.)

Really missing my Vitamix and dehydrator to make my own healthy snacks instead of paying an arm and a leg. If you're into healthy eating, check out the great videos at Daniel's Challenge on how to make filling, nutritious foods that your family will actually want to eat.

I got started on all this when I discovered what I call "food books" and documentaries that reveal how jacked our food system is. (Food Matters; In Defense of Food; The Omnivore's Dilemma; Animal, Vegetable, Mineral; Food Inc.; Super-size Me, etc.) Fascinating stuff that gives good incentive to take matters into your own hands. Basically it boils down to: eat REAL food (in it's most natural, un-messed-around-with state), mostly vegetables, incorporate whole grains into as many dishes as you can, and treat meat as a side dish/flavoring. And ditch all the processed crap. Natural foods have the power to prevent and heal all sorts of disease and ailments. The proof is out there.

Phew, this morphed into a whole different post, didn't it? Sorry, off my soap-box now. But if you have any other books or tips for me, bring it on! I love healthy suggestions.

2 comments:

  1. Alright, I need to put them on my shopping list! I'm so glad your stuff arrived. And, funny that dragonfruit tastes like shampoo - I just bought dish soap that is dragonfruit scented.

    ReplyDelete