| The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier was so beautiful - every inch of it done in mosaic. |
I like "pupil-free" days. Getting my kids all to myself with no schedule or agenda makes me happy. I have not always been able to say that, I'll have you know... So it's nice to be in a phase where I can genuinely enjoy our concentrated time together. Perhaps because it's more of a novelty now?
I just about croaked last week when Will talked to his "crush" on the phone and kept almost hyperventilating. All night he reviewed the conversation, adding comments like "is there a flower I could give her?" then "I feel like I'm going to throw up-- or explode."
Holy cow, when did they this old?? If I could freeze time right now, even just for a year or so, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Stop growing up, dang it.
They're still so cute and funny and eager and affectionate. Then I wake up one morning and Will's "too cool" to dress up for Character Day at school, and I get nervous for what's just around the corner. 'Tweens. I don't even like the word.
Or to have sibling secrets and be each others' best friends.
Or pitch in with things like mowing the lawn.
(Hallelujah! But seriously, that one makes me feel really old.)
I remember dreaming about the day when we could actually pull this off as a family.
But it does sorta get me weepy when time starts speeding up.
Just like everyone said it would.
Aww what a sweet post, brought a tear to my eye as it touched a nerve with me, feeling pretty much redundant already and the youngest isn't even 12 yet. It's true it all passes way too quickly, but for you there is still lots and lots of time while they are still little left.
ReplyDeleteThis is so sweet. Our 11 year old is doing the same thing... she is kind of gown up (but still wants to tell us all about her life). I love to see how your kids seem to really enjy each other. We are just starting to hit the "kids can be friends" phase. Cross fingers.
ReplyDeleteThe pictures of the poppys makes me reflective. I love that symbol for their vetrans.
Rebecca (having trouble signing in for some reason)
Hi Ivey, I love your blog. You don't know me but I served my mission with Merrillee. I was wondering how she was doing and since she's basically dropped off the face of cyberspace I found your blog! I love it. You are a great writer and I really feel like I'm on the journey with you. I'm a kiwi now living in Utah. Funny eh! But keep it up. Your blog is awesome. Give Merrillee my love. My name is Katie Mitchell (Sister Luatua)
ReplyDeleteTake care!