Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Even More Australianisms

Snag (sausage)
Chucked a sickie (played hookie)
Bird table (bird bath)
Wind screen (wind shield)
"Eighdeen" (18 - no sharp "t"s pronounced in the teens)
Been in hospital (not in the hospital)
Plaster (cast)
On special (sale)
En Suite (master bath)
Pumpkin (all squash: "butternut pumpkin")
Rocket (lettuce)
In a bit of a flap (rushed)
Straightaway (quickly/soon)
Billet (host or receipt)
Till (cash register)
Paddock (meadow/field)
Pinch (steal)
Spitting (drizzling rain)
Parcel (package)


Makes me smile to hear these coming out of my kids' mouths.

3 comments:

  1. I think these are my favorites. I live in Seattle--I'm gonna start using "spitting" rain. We get it a alot. lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shane leaned over during gospel doctrine the other week and said "Are those real Australian terms she's using?!"
    I love that you document these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny, what terms did she use?? Got 'in a bit of a flap' from you the morning you dropped off the clothes :)

    ReplyDelete