It's funny but the only time homesickness sneaks up on me down here is
when Darren travels for work.
Out of nowhere I get all small and vulnerable and empty.
Like all of a sudden I realize I'm really quite far away from "my people" back home. And I'm reminded once again, how much this little family has become my whole world. And when it's temporarily fractured, it doesn't feel so good.
The world's not as safe or fun or peachy or fulfilling.
As Dad's off exploring the continent, I start to realize how much I take for granted this completeness that we enjoy all the time. I crave the full body sigh of relief when Dad walks in the door, instantly making everything seem better, lighter. That feeling of contentedness - of having just enough with this little family nucleus here at home for these few short years. The satisfaction it brings at the end of each day to snuggle up on the couch and let them wrestle all over us and just smile.
You know the feeling, that familial comfort and camaraderie of husband-wife-brother-sister, so easily taken for granted. Only when that's disrupted do I feel the sting of isolation that comes from living literally on the other side of the world. In a very "removed" continent, so to say.
So welcome home, my man. I missed you heaps.
And Happy Father's Day (again, you lucky duck!) I'm lucky to have found my perfect match is so many respects. Thanks for being the Dad every kid deserves and for leaving no room for doubt in their minds how much their Daddy loves 'em.
Thanks for inspiring your boys to be such good husbands, Dads, and Priesthood leaders, Ken.
(Don't he make my 99 year old grandma's Snuggie look good!? Oh, yeah, you better believe it.)
And a huge cyber-hug up to heaven for my dear Dad today. Words fail to express the love and thanks a girl feels for her Dad... suffice it to say I can't wait for that joyful reunion when there won't be a need for words anymore.
Fathers are awesome.
I feel exactly the same way about when my husband is gone... the moment he walks in the door life just gets way better!
ReplyDeleteThat was so sweet, Ivey! What a great post.
ReplyDeleteI can so relate...It is such a blessing however, to have the chance to "live away" - I know you agree. You learn to love hard, rely on each other and feel like this safe and cosy little unit standing strong in a way you never had to before. Living away has strengthened our family so much - I can only imagine it doing the same for yours!
ReplyDeleteLoving your blog this am! Can you tell? So fun to read of your adventures and you are an excellent writer!
xoxo
amr