I keep thinking we're tapering off on the Australianisms here, but on the flip side I have been made aware of some important "no-no"s that are worth mentioning. If ever you find yourself in the Land Down Under, be careful not to use the following phrases:
Fanny
Root For (as in cheering for a sports team)
Stuffed (as in "i'm stuffed" after Thanksgiving dinner)
Doodle (according to Will)
I won't go into what they mean but you can assume they are quite inappropriate.
Also, swearing is a whole different ball game. Our kids were more than a little shocked at all the "swearing" every day at school, until we learned that "damn" and "hell" are simply not swear words here. So, although our kids are still not allowed to say them, they sure are accustomed to it.
A few more funny terms:
Losing the Plot (frustrated/fed up)
Pay Out (sell out)
Nackered (exhausted)
Good Oh (okay)
Out in the Never Never (way out in the undeveloped bush)
Paw Paw (papaya)
Pinch (steal)
Early Mark (out of school early)
Prezzies (gifts)
First In Best Dressed (first come, first served)
Sook (crybaby)
Knickers (female underwear)
Tee-Up (organize/make an appointment)
Sticky Beak (nosey person)
Top End (far northern Australia)
Fancy Dress (dress-ups, as in costume, not ballgown)
Good Turn (good deed)
And finally, an American friend who is a Nurse Practitioner here said that professional competition takes some getting used to as well. In the States you're generally rewarded for being a go-getter and showing initiative in the workplace. But here, apparently it's not an appreciated attitude and you're more likely to get chopped down. Called "Tall Poppy Syndrome" - valuable advice for the professionals I guess. Be stealthy if you want to climb that corporate ladder.
I love hearing all those terms. I love that they shorten everything too. Like brekky for breakfast. Also, we learned that a wog can be a cold or feeling junky but it can also be a very derogatory remark too.
ReplyDelete