Saturday, November 17, 2012

Double Digits

I can't believe we have a 10 year old. Amazing. I die a little inside every time he takes another step toward maturity; crushing on a girl or particular about his hair or excited about his first deodorant. But I remind myself it's all good - this is how it's meant to be so I better just enjoy the ride while we're still on it.

 I love this boy. Poor soul has had the brunt of all our parenting experiments, but is thankfully ever-forgiving. Totally into music, he's starting to hone the moves to match his grooves. He's an active one - always has been. And while he keeps us on our toes, I love his socialite tendencies. Always the first to suggest an activity or pull out a game. A bit of a sensory kid, he craves touch and roughhousing and abhors uncomfortable clothing or haircuts. He's clever, conscientious, helpful and fun. Life gets boring, albeit quieter, when he's out of the house.

Will's festivities fortunately came before all the recent hullabaloo. Normally we keep things low key, but he offered to forgo gifts from us if we'd host his party at Laser Zone, and even agreed to pay for the pizza himself. Deal. It was a blast. And his friends were crazy energetic. And I was so glad to come home to a clean house. 
never shied away from the center of attention, this one
intently reviewing all their laser tag stats over pizza
 Almost every one of his friends gave him a different Nerf gun, so you can imagine the action that ensued around here in the days following... And his best mate cousin sent him this outrageous slingshot (that now we can't find because Dad hid it when the kids ran home in tears after Will hit a car on his first go, not knowing it would shoot way beyond the field, and the guy turned around and chewed the girls out because Will took off in fear - sad story. Don't worry, Mer, we'll try again when Dad remembers where he hid it and Will gets his nerve back after the trauma.)


Happy Birthday, my crazy boy. Although I sort of want to force you back into that little tow-headed toddler body that captured all our hearts, thanks for still letting me love on you so much despite your rapidly growing stature. And thanks for being a superb big brother and solid example to all your little sibs (except when you slingshot a car and let them take the heat for it.) You rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment