Thursday, November 1, 2012

Halloween

Do your kids wear about 3.5 costumes every Halloween too? Depending on the neighborhood, school, or church party, they're just darn tired of dressing up by the end right? I do miss some of that. We only had two events this year (school didn't even mention it and trick or treating isn't a thing) so we lived it up at the church party and Embassy bash.

Primary was in charge of the church shin-dig so I put together a Touch Table with some nasty surprises...  

witches hair (dry rice noodles), brain (cooked cauliflower), earwax (peanut butter), lizard skin (onion peels), liver (half canned peach), snot (honey), goblin guts (ramen w/ ketchup), spit (egg whites), tongues (dried apricots), eyeballs (olives), bat hearts (prunes), goblin ears (cashews), rat claws/toenails (sliced almonds), intestines (spaghetti), witches nails (pistachio shells), teeth (popcorn kernels), skin (dried mango slices), warts (dried blueberries), scabs (craisins), dried toad (date)


Here are some of the winners of the cake, costume and Trunk or Treat awards. The "Blood Bank" had a big blood dispenser with cups which was awesome.

I wish I had a pic of Kathryn handing out her pavlova witch fingers, ghouls and cauldron cake, but I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off that day.




 I love when people get real into it and go all out. The Embassy got turned into an impressive Spook Alley, hiring teens to get all gory and jump out grabbing people - I screamed as loud as the kids.

I'll tell ya what though, I sure missed that pile of Twix and Heath bars and other American favorites I always look forward to pilfering from my kids' bags.

(No pretending you don't do the same thing!)




Wising up from the chaos of previous Halloweens, I opted to serve the gruesome dinner the night before so it could be a bit more relished:

mummies dipped in blood
witch fingers (green beans with sliced almonds)
jack'o'lantern smiles (notched cantaloupe slices)
bones'n'blood (gnocchi)
"monster munch mix"


Will got pretty good at the pancake ghosts the next morning...


Darren and I threw some random stuff together to make something work. I still dream about being cool enough to pull off an entire family costume theme one of these years...


 Of course, after a while we just stopped monitoring Summer - I saw her walk by with four suckers in her hands and mouth at once.

Truth be told, she came out of bed in dried vomit the next morning, apparently getting sick during her candy-induced coma. Ahhh, good parenting.

 HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

1 comment:

  1. You always have such fun posts! It is really enjoyable to read and experience the moments with you and your lovely family. I love the ideas from the touch table. I'll have to steal idea that one of these days :) Great costumes!

    ReplyDelete