After getting chewed out by yours truly for the third time of the evening, he sulked upstairs with "if you are a troublemaker ONE more time, I'm not coming in to kiss you goodnight" ringing in his ears. Once the girls were settled, I crept in to find my boy, all tucked in, seriously engrossed in the scriptures. I gazed in astonishment, got tears in my eyes, and backed out silently. Four full scripture pages later, I tucked him in with more than one kiss and we snuggled up for a chat.
About his power to turn himself around.
About how good it feels to choose well.
About how the spirit had flooded his little heart on page 2.

Then he asked if I would make him a sign so he could remember to do this again instead of making trouble. He described in exact detail what it should look like, then told me right where to tape it so he'd see it first thing in the morning.
That's my boy.
Little moments like this are what I hang my hat on when he's raising all sorts of hell in this home - that sweet, good, giant spirit inside that just needs some extra coaxing, some extra love amidst all the reprimands, scolding, and responsibilities that come with "oldest child" territory. The attention seeking behavior tells me he needs more one on one.
LOVE,LOVE,LOVE your blog! You are doing a fabulous job! We missed Will at scouts today- the group seems so small without him! It seems that you are all up to good things!
ReplyDeleteMiss you!