Sunday, May 15, 2011

Bris Vegas

First stop on our week in Queensland: BRISBANE. What a place! Locals smile at the above nickname due to its small feel but big nightlife and we quite agree. It was on the way to our "destination" and I have a few friends there from my mini-mission that I was really looking forward to catching up with. (Twelve years ago I had the privilege of stepping in as my sister's companion for two months while her LDS mission had an odd number of sisters.)

Of course Darren had never been and my time there was mostly spent biking around the neighborhoods sharing the good word, so I asked around for recommendations. I had some great emailed suggestions and phone calls from one new friend I'd found through blogging. Booking last minute accommodations on Easter weekend was proving difficult, but to my complete shock she generously invited us to stay there due to her recently emptied house (mom of 7, her youngest twin boys had just left for their missions the week before.) Her overwhelming hospitality gifted us a wonderfully unanticipated weekend, especially since my plans to visit with old friends fell through upon arrival. We so enjoyed getting to know their sweet family, as the grown children and grandchildren came for church and Easter festivities then graciously allowed us part in their impromptu musical talent night and family scriptures. It was such a treat - and made me suddenly realize how much I missed my family! Such a blessing to have these new friends who whipped up comfy bedrooms and delicious meals for us with only the slightest of notice - may we so graciously return the favor someday!

The Munro Family
Highly visited for its reputation as the theme-park capital of Australia, Brisbane also brags a spiffy downtown area. Nestled right along the Brisbane River in the heart of the business district are multiple parks, pools and even a man-made beach. Perfect for a relaxing stroll and a bite to eat, day or night - the kids were in heaven. We enjoyed great hands on activities at the Sciencentre and played tag in the Botanical Gardens as well.
All in all, a fun, hip city.

South Bank walkway

these artsy walkways snaked all over - so pretty at night






the "beach" portion was in repair from flooding damages earlier this year


funky optical illusion sculpture





wicked game o' tag here at botanical gardens

Parliament House
Brisbane LDS Temple at Kangaroo Point


1 comment:

  1. Looks so fun! We're from Brisbane, wish I'd known you were going!
    xx
    Holly

    ReplyDelete