Saturday, May 7, 2011

I Got Lucky


I hitched my wagon to this guy's. And boy, am I glad I did!

Life has been pretty awesome since then and today we celebrate Darren's birth. My mind wanders back... here are a few things I didn't know about this renaissance man until we were good and married:

- he bears the unlikely family nickname "Buzzy"
- he's actually not a body-builder (he was on a creatine kick when we met)
- he builds furniture... & speakers, & rooms, & computers... oh, and bakes bread
- he can NOT pass up a documentary or NOVA special
- he has a bottomless repertoire of obscure showtunes he'll belt out at random intervals (just like my Dad)
- parking, fatigue and/or hunger transform him into Mr. Grumpy Pants
- he's not one to actually finish a book (despite being Mr. Smarty Pants)
- he can recognize a million songs, but lyrics to none
- he's not only a "techie", but a "trekkie" to boot


A few things I keep falling in love with him over:

- his calming influence despite being that funny/push-your-buttons type of Dad
- his communication skills & open mindedness which breed many a thoughtful discussion
- how he can seriously rock the roller rink on Disco Night
- his respect, sensitivity and philosophical mind (a very able counselor)
- his quirky alter egos that provide endless entertainment
- our mutual affinity for the Kingston Trio and other quintessential "folk" artists
- his quiet strength and valiant soul
- the myriad ways we "fit"

Look at that gaggle o' kids

I love you honey. And I'm so glad you were born.
From those first coupla hugs, we kinda just knew, didn't we?
Here's to 36 more good ones!

3 comments:

  1. Here here! A great man and a great brother. Happy birthday bro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday Darren! Ivey, I think you two totally deserve each other--both of you are amazing! Great tribute to the love of your life :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Buz. Such a great big brother. Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete