Saturday, May 21, 2011

Exoticness

Yes, I know it's not a word, but it should be. 

Australia isn't the first country that comes to mind when you think "foreign" so there haven't been all that many adjustments to make or funky new things to try. But I have noticed a heavy Asian influence in the produce aisles and just decided to go for it one day - throwing in my cart as many of the strangest looking things I could find. I figured I could tweak it into a good Family Night lesson on "don't judge a book by its cover" or something.

(I realize I could have done this same exercise at home in the States but there's something about being in a new country that makes you want to get out there and try stuff, you know?)

The kids thought it was all very exciting.

I laid them out with great fanfare. We talked about their outsides. Guessed about their insides. And learned that "the uglier outside, the sweeter inside" ain't always the truth. But "look for the treasure within" was the moral of the story and we had fun.

 mature coconut, durian, custard apple, 
passionfruit, papaya, figs, persimmon



FAVORITES

Mom: custard apple & persimmon
Kids: passionfruit & purple carrot


 Summer was the only one who enjoyed the durian. I'd had it before in Malaysia, but the smell crowded out the taste in my memory so I was curious to try it again. (Found its scent aptly described online as "sweaty gym socks" or "rotting flesh" so I was stoked to show the kids.) We were careful to crack it open outside and it did not disappoint! Memorably awful. Fruit tastes good, although its slightly ruined by the stringy custardy texture. I even left the covered dish of it out there overnight in the cold to avoid the stench. I'll admit I wasn't too disappointed two days later when I discovered some nocturnal animal had snagged the pricey feast - lucky for them 'cause there was no way they were getting through those painful spikes unaided.


young coconut
purple carrots
white radishes
quince
guava



Did you know how much variety there is in a coconut? I didn't. This is a drinking coconut ("Kulaway Nut" or "Thai Coconut") with thin, soft, custardy flesh you can eat with a spoon. Stick a straw right in, because it's full to the brim with that liquid gold "milk." Delectable.
tasty, but give you quite the "bloody mouth" look

When in doubt, I checked online to see how to open & eat them. Some required hammers, others required gloves. It was a kick. But now I'm officially addicted to raw, fresh coconut. I can NOT stop! I'm getting knife-wielding callouses from carving out those chunks of radiant, white goodness...

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you tried Durian! Kevin was a year through his mission in Malaysia when he actually said he liked it! What a fun family night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how adventurous you are! We tried a quince on a whim a couple of weeks ago - soooo tart!

    ReplyDelete