If I could take just a second to send out a tribute to my mother and mother in law... it's still Mother's Day in the States so this counts, right? :) I've reflected lately at how little we consider motherhood until we are actually down in the trenches of it. There's no way I could have ever appreciated the depth of sacrifice and loving commitment my mother devoted until recently. Every year I gain a slightly clearer perception of the sheer logistics of my mother(s) accomplishments in raising 6-7 children so well. It's just not something you can really describe with our limited human vocabulary.
Motherhood is an exercise of the heart.
No matter what culture, society, financial income or walk of life, mothers are bound by one common thread. Love. Pure, unadulterated, other-worldly, powerful LOVE. It's a force not to reckoned with, measured or equaled. In this sense I share the same sentiment so many others have before me - the complete, albeit impossible to communicate, indebtedness I feel towards my beautiful mother and my overwhelming desire to live up to her example as I now, in turn, am a mother.
When I say "in the trenches" I don't mean to paint it darkly (although, let's not pretend it isn't THE hardest job on earth) but the struggle of it is so gloriously off-set by the exhilarating joy of those special, unexpected moments unveiled at random, as to completely overshadow the rough patches. Motherhood is the most rewarding job on earth. No matter how hard the duties, the simple love of a child outshines every strain.
And this is what I'm learning. And what my mother(s) learned before me. And what my daughters will get to learn in turn. It's God's gift to women and I'm grateful every day for it. And whether a woman gets to enjoy such a blessing in this life or the next, we all have been mothered and endowed with innate qualities that allow us to nurture and love like only women can. So, on this Mother's Day, allow me to share a few of my favorite qualities of my mothers that I hope to emulate.
| My #1 fan during Beauty & the Beast. (And only picture of mom I have on this computer!) |
My mother, is one of those golden women who can seriously do it all. Multi-talented (knitting, violin, sewing, piano, dance, teacher, Miss Utah, etc.) and multi-tasking extraordinaire (a TN friend witnessed her applying makeup with one hand, punching down bread dough with the other while nursing me in the car-line pick up at school, no joke!) she is a go-go-go, do-do-do type of lady. Needless to say, she gave us a full childhood. She is thrifty, organized, resourceful, creative, cheerful and never says "no." Exhibiting an energizer-bunny level of energy, her enthusiasm for even the lowest of tasks is contagious. Life is fun with Bonnie around. And talk about an adored grandma. She is so present when she's around children - always laughing, hugging, down on their level and utilizing every teaching moment. It's beautiful to watch. Her most admirable quality though is easily the amount of selfless service she gives. She has an unbelievably high tolerance level for inconvenience, in fact she probably doesn't even see it as such, so she is able to meet others needs and desires to a heroic degree. If I could do half as much for other people as she does, I'm sure I'd earn my place in heaven. I love you, Mom!
| Mom Lorayne at Summer's baby blessing. |
Happy Mothers Day!
What a touching tribute to the mothers in your life!
ReplyDelete