I take "prizes" seriously y'all.*
Fortunately, I casually asked another mum at school that afternoon if she had any 70's costume-wear. She laughed aloud and explained patiently that it was "stripes & spots" theme only, not a thing to do with the 70's. Who knew "disco" was a key Australianism I'd need? Apparently, it's just a "dance."
Don't say I didn't warn ya.
The rest of the list:
Naught (zero)
Jelly (jello)
Singlet (tank top)
Faultless (flawless)
Rub out (erase)
Drinking chocolate (hot cocoa)
Spotty (polka-dotted)
Sunnies (sunglasses)
Sausage sizzle (BBQ)
Pumpkin (squash, ie: "butternut pumpkin")
Reckon (think)
Cornflour (cornstarch)
Bi-carb soda (baking soda)
Icing sugar (powdered sugar)
Castor sugar (somewhere between powdered sugar and regular white sugar)
Golden syrup (cross between corn syrup & molasses, neither of which I've found)
Corridor (hallway)
Hall (gymnasium)
Plaits (braids)
Pitch (field)
Zed (the letter "z")
Coriander (cilantro)
Zebra (pronounced "zeh-bra" not "zee-bra")
Correction: An Aussie friend pointed out my mistake in listing "Chilly Bin" for "cooler" on a previous post. I'm told that's the New Zealand term. The Australian term is "Esky."
Duly noted and my apologies.
*And yes, you bet I DID win first place at the "disco" - although I'm sad to say there were no prizes.
(Unless you call standing up on stage in front of the school and winning the "applause-o-meter" contest next to a couple other embarrassed mums a "prize"....'cause really, what could top that?)
You are so funny! I love the way you write! Good on you for being so brave!!! I hardly ever even dress up for Halloween anymore, you make me feel like an old fogie! (English for Geezer)
ReplyDeleteGlad you won by popular vote, that's really the only vote that matters:) Well done!
That is awesome! You are such a fun mom! You would think that going to Australia would be a smooth transition, being that they speak our same language and all...wow, there really are a lot of differences to learn!
ReplyDeleteI love it! Here's a couple of clarifications for you (if it helps): there's a difference between a sausage sizzle and a bbq (of which we do both, in great style) - sausage sizzles you pretty much only have sausages in bread (although some include a steak sandwich), with sauce and a drink available too. BBQs have everything - salads, seafood, a nibbles table, lots of different meats, the works. And of course dessert, which may or may not be done on the barbecue. You may enjoy this website: http://www.bbqblue.com.au.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I've seen molasses at Coles, but I've never used it so don't know if it's exactly the same. I hope that helps!