Monday, July 4, 2011

Three Things I Didn't Expect

Darren here. One of the great things about being in a foreign country is getting smacked with the unexpected. Here are three mildly humorous encounters.
Love Boat reruns. When jet lagged you can watch Mork & Mindy at 2:30 (that show was not funny) and Love Boat at 3:00 am. These shows at this hour in this country can be completely disorienting. 
My first haircut in Australia was at justcuts. The lady at the counter explained gently, "We have a policy that you have to have washed your hair within the last 24 hours." She tilts her head slant ways, studying my hair. I'm silent. "Have you washed your hair in the last 24 hours, sir?" she asks. "Yes," I reply stoically. She pauses, giving me a chance to reconsider my answer. I'm silent. "Okay then," she states cheerfully, "right this way." My self esteem has plummeted.
The El Camino. They've been making these Holden (Chevy) Utes in Australia since 2000. Ford makes a Falcon Ute that is similar. It's like seeing extinct species reemerge, evolved. While U.S. customers may not have selected the El Camino to survive, the Aussies love them. Consider the Holden SS Redline Ute for a cool $50,000.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Buz... how I miss you. Really too bad about the greasy hair incident.

    ReplyDelete