Sunday, October 9, 2011

Wonky Talky

Apparently, there's a proper name for this lingo I call "Australianisms." They call it 'Strine, as in the way Australians say the word "australian" - with the accent it sounds like they're saying "Strine."

Here are some more we've heard lately:

Power point (outlet)
Piked (crowded)
Skivvy (turtleneck)
Make a booking (reserve a spot)
Year 3 (3rd grade)
Essence (extract)
Pip (pit, like in a cherry)
Hob shop (second hand shop)
Lounge suit (business suit)
Prang (crash)
"the drink" (any body of water)
Righto (sure, sounds good)
Spit the dummy (throw a fit/tantrum, since dummy is a pacifier)
Top of (high of, in reference to weather temp)
Courier (shipping & handling)
Hash key (pound key)
Meant to (supposed to)
Brumby (horse)
Mobile (cell)
Digger (shovel)
Feeding (nursing)
Packet (food bag/box)
Expiry (expiration date)
Gumboots (rainboots)
Popper (juicebox)
Muck around (goof off)
Cochineal (food coloring)
Baddies (bad guys)

These are Australian marshmallows. Always half pink and more like the homemade ones you'd find at a cafe. I do miss the cheap bags of weightless, white, miniature mallows, but I'm not complaining - it's still a fluffy block'o'sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment