Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloweeeeeen

No, Australians DON'T celebrate Halloween. I get the feel that they sort of think it's a ridiculous holiday.

Which it is.

But it sure is fun. Now, I admit it's silly and unhealthy and commercialized to death, and I'm not all gung-ho about it like some others (we're talking haunted houses in the basement, wired doorsteps with swooping ghosts, giant spiders dropping down from trees on unsuspecting trick or treaters, a whole storage room full of decor, etc.) But I do like me some spooky treats and a good costume party.  Here's the gang:

True to form, the US Embassy put on an all out bash with games, food, reptiles, prizes, etc and the kids had a ball. I like how they're each allowed one friend - makes for a nice community outreach opportunity. Here we are with Ambassador Bleich Elvis.

 Kids got to pet goanas, lizards, huuuuge snakes, long-necked turtles and a baby croc.
 Mummy wraps:
They created a ridiculously freaky haunted house that probably scarred some of our guests - I couldn't get over how good it was! They basically transformed the whole Embassy into a spook alley. It was huge and long and awesome and they loved trick or treating through it.

Our ward also did a fun little Trunk or Treat in the parking lot with prizes. I set up a Touch Table with some pretty nasty specimens. It's amazing what a little label on a covered box can do. People were super grossed out - it was perfect. Unfortunately, I was running around like a chicken witch with my head cut off and didn't snap a pic. But for any of yous wanting ideas for a future party...

Embassy touch boxes all fancy in black
Various boxes were filled respectively with: corn kernels, dried/wetted date (or slimy mango pit for bigger heart/liver), dried pineapple/papaya, cooked/peeled sweet potato, cooked cauliflower head, honey/corn syrup, oiled soft spaghetti (add pumpkin pulp for extra yuck), dried bananas, withered celery sticks, wheatbix/cereal, peanut butter, dried apricots, craisins/cornflakes, peeled grapes/olives, oiled tortilla.

The kids had a disco the Friday before which called for "fancy dress." A bit hesitant due to my previous "disco" experience (posted here) I abstained from going all decked out in sequins and sash and boy am I glad. Everyone was in Halloween costumes! Lost in translation again there - who'da thunk "fancy" meant "costume" but maybe as a Catholic school they didn't want to officially host a Halloween party? Fortunately Kenna got a last minute heads up from her friend and we just called Annie a Dancing With the Stars participant.
 
 (Side note: if an Aussie does dress up it's strictly in "spooky" costume. That's one thing I missed and in fact, my favorite part of Halloween: those impressive and imaginative costumes that are in no way frightening. Anything from a family dressed as Wizard of Oz characters, to a horse, chinese person, ipod, or mailman - the world is your oyster and it's so much fun for the ultra creative/crafty. Bless my mom, one year we were unpacking from our move to Utah and I was a spool of thread, my sis was a box of cheerios, my brother was a pack of bubble gum and another sib was a giant kleenex box. Awesome.)

I hear certain neighborhoods even host trick or treaters - you have to look for decorations though. So I guess Australians sorta celebrate Halloween. Either way, it was a good one. So good, in fact we didn't even try real trick or treating and even got to bed at a reasonable hour! Poor Kenna was desperate to get a trick or treater though, waiting behind the door, masked, w/ treats, but her cute signs didn't lure any in. (Just something you gotta deal with always living in a circle off the main neighborhood roads - oh well.) We did miss the friendly camaraderie of all the neighbors milling up and down the streets chatting as kids trick or treat, but we'll get that back again in a few years. :)

2 comments:

  1. Here in the UK they call any type of costume 'Fancy Dress' as well. Periodically there will be fancy dress parties, which means coming in costume, not in a tux and ballgown like I first thought when I moved here.

    We're headed to Australia next week to visit the in-laws. I don't think we'll make it to your neck of the woods this time around though. Which is a shame!

    I'm really not looking forward to the very, very long flight with a 2 year old. Oy vey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Ivey, I have been reading your posts for a while now, and I love your blog! I'm an American living in the UK, and much of what you describe as Ozzy-specific applies here, too, including the strictly scary Halloween costumes. I tried to explain to a friend here that I was Ariel the Little Mermaid and Raggedy Ann when I was a kid, and she just did not get the appeal. To each their own, I guess! Anyway, keep up the amazing blogging!

    ReplyDelete