Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Waiting Game

My husband just cut his hair with these. (Maybe I should post a hair pic, too...)


Seriously, it's getting pretty amusing what we're driven to make-do with as we await our long-lost household shipment. (Okay, we're not "roughing it" - they gave us a welcome kit with dishes, bedding, tools, etc. - but there are definitely some things we're anxious to be reunited with!)

I really only packed for two months so Summer's grown out of all her clothes and the rest of us must look pretty homeless rotating through the same few long sleeved options we have. A few things we probably woulda thrown in had we known our stuff would take 4 months to arrive:

stroller
high chair
bikes (or at the very least their razors)
winter clothes (left the Brumbies game at half time due to frozen extremities)
toys (honestly, 2 dolls and a box o' legos was okay for the first... month?)
more SHOES
more than 3 church outfits

Ahhh, The Simple Life!

It's actually been GREAT. I have to say, I'm sort of grateful for the real lesson I'm learning about the significant amount of time, energy and stress that simply the "maintenance" of a house full of belongings demands. Three months of empty closets, bare shelves and clutter-free space has lent itself to all sorts of free time, easy cleaning, and ample room for creative, imaginative play.

But while I've mostly loved having nothing to clean, hide, trip over or pick up... some days we just really want our stuff.

You know??

My four five year old says daily "Mom, where's my....oh yeah, it's in the shipment" as if every family is patiently awaiting theirs too.

We got word last week that at least it has finally docked in Sydney. I hear the customs/quarantine check takes about a month, but at least we know it hasn't disappeared at sea and there's light at the end of the tunnel!

(Now watch me eat my words and resent all the "stuff" we lugged over here when it finally arrives!)

2 comments:

  1. It will be like Christmas when it all arrives!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! I feel your pain!!! And trust me, once it arrives you will wish for weeks it hadn't! :)

    ReplyDelete