Friday, March 4, 2011

Of Houses, Hats & Carnivals

SCHOOL. Bless it. Forget the notion that our move precipitated this blog. I, all of a sudden, find myself staring down 6 virtually uninterrupted hours each day while my three children are in school. (The same school, with the same schedule, I might add.) Brilliant.

Aren't they just cute?? (Kenna wasn't thrilled about not having packed black shoes.) Due to the hole in the ozone being directly above Australia, it's actually law that children must wear sunscreen & these funky hats anytime they're outside during school hours.

We toured four schools the day after we landed, and were equally impressed with each. Great education system. We chose a private Catholic school down the street with vegetable gardens, chickens to feed and a kitchen for cooking classes. I have to admit I like the idea of having them experience something totally different than they would otherwise have. Uniforms, agriculture, religion sprinkled in. I'm liking it. We may be heavily focusing our FHEs this year on the LDS Articles of Faith to avoid any doctrinal confusion, but I think there's great potential for enriching life experiences there.

The first day was actually their Swimming Carnival. We were bussed to a pool for the day for games and races and they made some cute friends as we sat with and cheered on their "house" participants. Yes, they are assigned houses, like at Hogwarts and it actually makes for some great school spirit activities.

Monday was their official full day and they did great. Well, except for Annie who cried about 5 of the 6 hours. She's still pretty young for "kindie" but barely makes the cut. Kenna's been a sweetheart to play with her on breaks but I think she'll be fine once she makes some friends. They all got real nice father's blessings Sunday night and we talked up how lucky they were to get two in one year (hoping they won't realize that they also never got a summer break...) Kenna and Will bumped up to year 2 and 3 and are so responsible, setting their alarms each night and getting dressed right out of bed. It's pretty cute and they seem to be adjusting well. I think I heard the words "best first day of school ever" in fact.

And me- I'm just home propping my feet up eating bon bons. (wink) I have yet to work out a schedule, but it's worth mentioning that Summer is at that delectable stage where she can sit and play on a blanket with toys for quite a while between naps. She officially "crawled" the week we arrived, but hasn't caught the full vision of being mobile just yet, which I'm a-okay with. Bless her sweet little heart.

8 comments:

  1. Ivey, I am LOVING your blog! Keep the great posts coming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just can't wait to get there and visit. It is so exciting to see all that is going on.

    Love to all.

    Have Will Skype me once in a while

    Papa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just Lovely! So glad you finally joined the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ivey,
    Leah just told me that you had moved! What an exciting adventure! I'm so glad you sent me your blog--looks like you're already getting settled in. Good luck, and I can't wait to see more of your experiences!

    Love, Ada

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your blog via the MPII ward newsletter, and am loving it! Keep the posts coming, and good luck settling in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun experience for your family. I am jealous. I would love your adventure. I am so thrilled for your kids to get such a great diverse education at their new school. It sounds like a dream. I love you and want to hear about the in's and out's of your day with Summer. Can't belive only one is at home now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love little Summer so much! What a cute picture of her surrounded by toys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your encouragement, gals! Glad to see someone's checking in - and yes, it certainly helps having just the babe at home these days :)

    ReplyDelete