Sunday, March 13, 2011

U.S.A.

As you probably know Darren is on assignment here with the U.S. government. We have lived in MD and UT with his job, but this is our first overseas position. And being so, it was my first opportunity to be party to all the necessary "briefings" at the U.S. Embassy upon our arrival. I must say, it has been pretty fun. The US/Australian relationship is quite developed and our embassy here reflects that in its size and beauty. Gorgeous grounds and buildings. It was a treat to walk through and get my badge and mailbox keys and make the rounds to all the appropriate meetings for a few days. Having the kids already in school was a huge help as well as all the prep work and research we'd done on our own prior. I felt like it was sort of a two day date with my husband (which is MONEY when you usually don't get to reconnect 'til all the kids are snoring and you're both hammered.)

This is also my first time experiencing the "expat" culture that accompanies such a posting. Granted, I'm not struggling with any language barriers or many challenging cultural differences, but it's still enjoyable to have a nice, familiar, community feel every time I visit the embassy or attend one of its functions. They have trivia nights, movie nights, massive garage sales, moms groups, parties, etc. I went to the embassy book club the other night and I was shocked by how much it felt like a Relief Society function. All these ladies being gathered with one commonality (citizenship rather than religion) to eat, socialize and share ideas late into the night. The conversations were fascinating. Such rich and diverse perspectives from a myriad of backgrounds and experiences - different cultures, family structures, professional grades. It was so uplifting. I genuinely appreciated the stimulating and political topics that repeatedly came up through our discussions. And of course it was fun to hear the familiar sharing of where to find this or that or who found what at such a low price, etc. It's also fun to see all the different government-owned housing (and that familiar furniture) as we visit others' homes.

We are thrilled with our home here. We are the first American family to move in so it recently had all sorts of required updates and installments like alarm systems, special locks, slash-proof security screens, & high fences. It's just beautiful inside with many lovely extras we didn't expect (kids are taking real advantage of the intercom, central vac and laundry chute.) Security cars drive by at all times of day and night to check the place (one guard even knocked to say our garage door was open - talk about feeling safe. Um, minus the spiders I guess.) It's plenty big for our potentially growing family (5 bedrooms/3 garages) too. So I guess my point is - there's room for visitors!!

Canberra is very "western," and many things feel entirely familiar. There aren't many products I haven't been able to find (admittedly at a higher price) but most can be purchased online anyway. And while there aren't any familiar brands of food, the Australian versions are great. Milk, cheese and chocolate are much tastier due to the high cream content and I'm having a ball trying out lots of randoms that look interesting.

I've been impressed to find how child and family-friendly this city is with all sorts of activities that are kid-centered. Free city-sponsored playgroups and preschools with activities and snacks provided. Many "mums" with small children or pregnant. I even had a hard time finding a seat in the family lounge at the mall - a space provided to nurse and change diapers privately with a little play area for the older sibs too. So many friendly and talkative mums. It's a nice surprise and makes it feel a lot like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment