The other is our new arrangement of bedrooms. The three kids' rooms and ours all surround the top of the stairway on the upper level, with a little sitting area beside a window. They've had a grand time owning their own space and lately we've fallen into a pleasant little bedtime routine where mom helps them all get tucked in and reading while dad strums the guitar to mellow the mood. Then once they've all been kissed, prayers said and rooms darkened, mom joins dad by the window and we sing until they're snoring, or beyond. Top three requests: "Pony Man" (Gordon Lightfoot - click to listen), "Hallelujah" (Leonard Cohen, but Jeff Buckley & Brandi Carlile versions are stunning - Jeff here), and "Dragonfly Races" (Ellis Paul - click to listen). Engaging lyrics and moving musicality. How cool is it to discover music you AND your kids love? It has been years since we've done this regularly and a nostalgic throw back to our late night recording sessions in Maryland. Last weekend we kept the candles lit long after Earth Hour ended, the kids all snug in bed, and sang looking out at the stars. Magic, I tell ya.
Which leads me to another happy discovery. The STARS. (Well, the whole sky actually. The brilliantly vibrant hues of blue in this sky are hard to find words for.) Did you know the constellations are upside down here? We finally figured it out that night, googling some images and comparing against the window to see that Orion was upside down and backwards (see above - his 3 star "dagger" is usually below his "belt"). So fascinating. The stars are bright from here, but as you may have read, D actually stayed up most of the night researching photographic telescopes to take with us on camping trips in the Outback. Definitely the start of some new family traditions.
| When Dad walked in from work the first time in this get-up the kids were like "Where are your pants?!" |
P.S. All those wonderful savings are now labeled "Photographic Telescope Fund." Yay! I'm considering renaming it "Banana Fund" though after looking at my grocery receipt to see what I paid for 10 smallish bananas... ahem... $22.05.
Hi Ivey :) I'm pretty sure the roos were just waiting to see if you were going to charge them. Your kangaroos are almost certainly Eastern Greys. They really don't attack unless in a severely stressed situation; they are strict herbivores :) I had a kangaroo for a pet when I growing up, in a town called Woomera, in the South Australian outback.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you are planning on going to the outback. You won't believe the stars out there! Or how the sky goes on forever...
Ouch! Bananas are usually about $2 a kilo (a kilo equals 2.2lbs). It's because of the floods. Prices should be back to normal by the end of the year, (we hope :)
xo
Hi there, I love reading about your Australian adventures. Although we have never met, I have been a fan of yours since "Rigoletto" (I used to work for Feature Films for Families). Will you please do a post on what it was like filming "Rigoletto" and "Wish upon a Star" (one Disney Channel movie I will watch WITHOUT my kids!) Thanks! :) Julie, Mom of 3.
ReplyDeleteSandy, I keep picturing you as a little girl with your pet kangaroo - so completely awesome! Yes, another friend assured me the only story she heard of someone being attacked (kicked) by them was when one was in the man's house and couldn't find the way out. How it got IN the house is what I want to know...
ReplyDeleteJulie, thanks for keeping up! At the risk of looking altogether self-absorbed it would be fun to walk down memory lane with some acting stories - although that post would definitely benefit from some behind the scenes shots (my mom was awesome at documenting on set so there are a plethora.) Unfortunately, we left all those items back in SLC though...hmmmm.