Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Happy Ash Wednesday

We're learning all sorts of interesting things about Catholicism and the accompanying beliefs and sacraments. While we don't have the kids do the sign of the cross or recited prayers at home like they do at school, we do encourage them to appreciate all the different ways both religions worship and to recognize the symbolic value in each.

I attended the kids' Ash Wednesday liturgy where Will did an excellent reading from the Bible about how we're not to show off our good deeds. Then all the students received ash crosses on their foreheads. Definitely a new one for us. But I appreciated the introduction to Lent and that the ash cross was to remind them that nobody's perfect and encourage each child to use this opportunity to abandon a bad habit or find new resolve to improve oneself in some way.

Being at this school has led to some great dinner discussions already and I'd say that's a good thing.

5 comments:

  1. She looks so cute! I went to Catholic school all my life, so I can identify with these things. I love reading your blog, and I'd be very appreciative if you would give mine a look-see. www.treblereeler.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Ivey!

    Thanks for adding me to your address book. Ive always been fascinated with the land down under. My favorite mini-series is "The Thornbirds"(about an Irish family who immigrates to Australia, in case you haven't seen it). Three great reads about aborigines are "The Rabbit-Proof Fence", "Mutant Message Down Under" and "Mutant Message From Forever". And then there's "Australia", the Hugh Jackman/Nicole Kidman movie, which I absolutely love.

    Unfortunately, I don't think I'll ever make it there, as I'm extremely claustrophobic, and the airplane ride is simply too long for me. But I'm thrilled your family is getting this opportunity!
    Not a bad deal you scored with the pool!

    Re the Catholic school, I went to nine years of Catholic elementary school. I sported the little black cross on my forehead every year leading up to Lent; we all thought it was really cool and something to look forward to. My sisters and I all agree that we got a great education at Catholic school.

    Love your posts!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just spent my entire morning enjoying your posts. Kudos to you for your bravery in this adventure! You are making wonderful memories and giving your children the experience of a lifetime! Thanks for making my day! Love and miss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep em coming! I love hearing of your adventures! Summer is soo adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy, thanks for the book suggestions! I've heard lots of positive things from Catholic school graduates - glad you enjoyed your experience. I hope you do make it here someday. Amy, so glad to have brightened your morning. We're having fun but miss you all too!

    ReplyDelete